Technology has become the driving force changing the way companies exist and operating Accounting departments. Subsequent generation of the workforce are going to be familiar with operating during a completely technologically connected world with trusted relationships shaped by social platforms and social networking. Our economic environment has become one with diminished geographical boundaries. Increasingly, clients and customers are more focused on the calibre and quality of the work being performed- not on where it’s being performed.
Accounting departments aren’t resistant to these changes, and businesses must reassess their accounting departments to adapt to those trends.
1. Cloud Computing- Also termed software as a service, (SaaS), cloud computing may be a new way of providing companies with software programs, allowing users to access the programs over the web as against having to load the software on a private disk drive or central server. Emerging cloud and mobile technologies provide companies with increasingly more flexible options and 24/7 access to data. Additionally, cloud computing technologies have eliminated the problematic issue of single user systems that house data on one computer, allowing multiple user access. These technologies also eliminate the necessity to take a position heavily in IT systems and staff thereby increasing profitability. With cloud computing programs, resolution of accounting IT issues, data security and back-up often reside with the software developer taking the responsibility off of small to mid-sized businesses.
2. Outsourcing- This practice is becoming more and more prevalent across industries and is especially beneficial to small to mid-sized companies. It provides a greater range of access to specific skill sets which will not be required or affordable on a fulltime basis. Outsourcing specific non-core tasks like bookkeeping allow businesses to reduce services once they aren’t required or build up Online Bookkeeping Services in Dallas during peak periods. Outsourcing functions like CFO level services provide businesses with a high level expertise once they need it, expertise which can rather be in accessible or unaffordable if they needed to rent a full-time employee.
3. Virtual Office- Geographical boundaries are slowly being erased. it’s now significantly smaller where a corporation or its employees reside. This provides increased access to qualified accounting staff with a selected skill set, as they not got to be physically present during a n office or maybe in a designated city or state to successfully accomplish accounting functions. This also reduces significant overhead expenses as office space to deal with staff is not any longer essential to performing Online Accounting Services. Tasks are often performed anytime, anywhere.
4. Self Service- Our world is becoming increasingly reliant on self-service as results of technology. Today’s workforce is familiar with 24/7 immediate access to information and therefore the ability to quickly address tasks. Accounting departments must realize that monthly revenue and profitability reports are not any longer sufficient. They need to mobilize to supply real time access to measure data in order that decisions impacting the corporate are often made promptly and efficiently, by key decision makers with accessibility to the present information.
5. Automation and Integration- Accounting departments must look to automate key business processes like order entries and expense approvals to extend efficiency. This eliminates duplication of knowledge entry and human error leading to improved profitability. additionally , with access to more and more software programs companies must learn to integrate applications for accounting, CRM, e-commerce, payroll and POS in order that they possess an all-inclusive snapshot of the company’s financial status. Companies that learn to effectively integrate, manage and analyze this data are going to be much better equipped to maneuver swiftly and decisively on critical matters that impact their business.
Businesses must embrace these trends that impact their accounting department to stay competitive. We are currently offering a free analysis of your accounting business processes and accounting.